Just wanted to give you a progress report. Even though I knit the swatch, as directed, I ended up changing the pattern layout, adding an additional cable pattern (not in the original design) and inserting the ktbl to off set the different cables (which I forgot to knit for about the first 10 rows). But all that aside, she’s on needles, moving along and is absolutely gorgeous. This picture is pretty close the actual color of the yarn.
There’s a look at the sheepfold pattern and my steek stitches. One of the things I love about this project is you don’t have to use a cable needle…all the cables take place over 2 stitches (right and left twists) so you can really knit away on this one. Now even though I knew how to do the cables sans needle, Elizabeth demonstrates quite brilliantly how to do them so much simpler on the dvd. I highly recommend it. There is so much to learn on it and so many ways to knit things better.
Those things hanging from the needles are row counters, one for each pattern sequence. I learned this at camp in 2005…it’s one of the best knitting tools ever…the details to make them can be found here.
I’m off for now…the coat beckons.
Have a great weekend everyone!